Favorite Quote's about Children...

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ~Frederick Douglass

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Communication


  Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures?
         I do often find myself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures. It is not something that I do purposefully, or intentionally, and many times I try not to treat people differently. On the other hand though I do feel that at times, it is necessary to treat people a little bit differently. Sometimes people have different needs, and in order to meet those needs you need to treat them differently. I also use more formal language when I speak with certain people like my boss, and some of my coworkers. With other people I use more informal language.

  If yes, in what ways do you communicate differently?
One thing that I have noticed about myself is that sometimes I find myself using shorter sentences, or fewer words when I speak to people that I know do not have great confidence in speaking or understanding the English language. I learn this by speaking with them, and when possible, I have a translator available to assist with communication. I have also noticed this when speaking to people with special needs on occasion. I feel like I don’t want to come off as speaking in technical terms and have the person I am communicating with not completely understand what I am saying. I try to be respectful to everyone, and don’t always know the best way to communicate.

I know that there are some things that I can do to become a better communicator. One thing that I need to learn to do more effectively is to ask questions during a conversation to ensure that I am understanding what is being communicated to me. Another thing I should learn to do is to always remain focused on the topic being discussed, and not be so distracted by the little details.


No comments:

Post a Comment