Favorite Quote's about Children...

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ~Frederick Douglass

Saturday, February 16, 2013

When have I encountered bias?


I have on occasion experienced bias in my life, but the time that I experienced the most bias was while I was pregnant, and during the first year that I had my first child. I got pregnant at 17 and had my first child when I was 18. I constantly heard people mumble under their breath about kids having kids, and how I would never amount to anything because I was so young. When I heard these things it was very hurtful because I already knew that I had made a mistake, and it was hard knowing that everyone else could see that I had made a mistake. The people who were talking about me made me feel like I was beneath them for what I had done, and that I was not equal with them. I have worked very hard to provide for my children and give them the best that I possibly could. I have also proved a lot of people wrong by getting an education and holding down a decent job.

Now I am proud to tell people that I had my first child while I was still a teenager. I hope to be a positive role model for teenagers who have children to prove to them that their life is not over, and they can still make something of themselves. I know getting pregnant or having children early in life is not the best option, but it is in no way the end. There is still time to fulfill your hopes and dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Janell,
    You are totally right. Life is not over when you have a child as a teenager. The same bias was addressed to me when I had my first son at 28. I was not married and even though I had my college degree and a decent job, many people thought I had ruined my chances of getting married. I couldn't believe the comments I was getting. I thought I did good because in my family most of my cousins had babies in their late teens and early 20s. I think a lot of bias comes from traditions and morals that are not stressed as much in today's society but it doesn't make it right.

    ReplyDelete