Favorite Quote's about Children...

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ~Frederick Douglass

Sunday, September 23, 2012

What is Culture? What is Diversity?



Culture is the way you were raised or the people you were around.
Diversity is the differences that different cultures have towards the same thing. 
-Jeremy

Culture is a way of life for a certain type of people, where they live, what they teach their kids.
Diversity is how people react to people who are different.
-Steve

Culture is your customs and who you are.
Diversity is knowing that everyone is different, and nobody is the same.
-Amber

I interviewed three people who have many cultural differences from me, and some similarities. I interviewed two males, one was a 40 year old white male, and the other was a 38 year old white male. I also interviewed my fifteen year old step-daughter. I was impressed by the definitions that they all gave for culture because they were all very good, and not limited to ethnicities. Their answers for diversity were more vague, but also very good. 

1 comment:

  1. Janell,
    I like the way Amber defined culture & diversity--especially diversity (nobody is the same. And we are not, not even if we are from the same culture, I might add. Culture is definitely a component of how we define ourselves. I'm very surprised no one used ethnicity to define culture.

    ReplyDelete